Diploma Course Synopsis
We Believe in God
- Natural Revelation. Divine Revelation.
Genesis 1-3: Human Dignity.
- Fallen Man - Sin – Suffering - Grace.
- God Calls – Abraham.
Faith & Science
- God Rescues Moses – Burning Bush
Passover; Praise; Tradition.
- The Siniatic Covenant. The Commandments.
Worship; Christ’s New Covenant.
- Covenant – King David – symbol of Christ the King
Hope; Temple-the building and dedication.
- “The Holy Spirit has spoken through the prophets”
The Major & Minor Prophets; Elijah;
The Suffering Servant passages
Wisdom Literature: Sirach 38. The Problem of Evil & Social Justice.
Combined with Test Paper 8
- Psalms. Exile. Immigration & Racism.
Teaching notes for 14 -16 year-olds but range adaptable.
Images of Gods Character.
The New Testament
- How did the New Testament come into being?
The role of John the Baptist.
Teaching: The Family and notes on the catechist as a person.
- “Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin
The role of the BVM in God’s plan of salvation
The role of the Holy Spirit at the Annunciation
Teaching notes: The Holy Family
- The humanity of Christ
Teaching: theme Holy Week, with a lesson on Palm Sunday, for children aged about 11-13 years
- The Divinity of Christ
– pre-existence, Incarnation, Jesus is called God, he does the deeds of
God, the Resurrection and Ascension.
Teaching notes – Glory – a key word in the Bible and in our prayers
- Papers 13a, 13b, 13c and 14 will each deal with one Gospel
- Acts of the Apostles up to and including the Council of Jerusalem.
The Early Church
The caring Church – Social Concern.
- The Church is Missionary
Acts of the Apostles continued
St Paul and his letters
Education as part of the Church’s mission.
- World Religions
Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhs, Buddhism
- The Church is One and it is Sacramental
Baptism, Confirmation, RCIA
- The Mass – A history of the Mass
What the Mass is, changes made by Vatican II and why
Suggestions for teaching the Mass to teenagers
A Passover Meal, adapted for classroom use
- Marriage: marriage as seen in the Bible
Problems concerning marriage, Widowhood, The Single State
The Church’s rules concerning sexual behaviour
- Reconciliation: The Sacrament and its history
Sessions with parents; Lessons with children
The Penitential Rite
What happens when we fail to achieve reconciliation; Crime and punishment, War and Peace.
- The Priesthood: as seen in the Bible
As seen in the Church, Deacons, Ecumenism
Tradition; The Magisterium & Papal Authority
- ‘We look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come.’
The Sacrament of the Sick: Healing in a wider context; Drugs & alcohol abuse.
The Four Last Things: The communion of Saints
- Catechesis: How the Jews taught religion; Jesus, the unique teacher.
The general position today and your work as a catechist.
In your studies you will need access to the Catechism. The links below take you to the freely available source on the Vatican website.